Planning a road trip this summer? Or are you flying across the country or even to a different continent? Maybe you’re spending the weekend enjoying the great outdoors camping with friends and family. No matter where your summer adventures lead you this season, there’s no reason to leave your family pet at home waiting for a postcard. Taking your pet with you can be as easy as planning ahead and following a few of our tips below…
1) No matter if you’re traveling by plane, train or automobile, keep your pets safe and secure with a well-ventilated crate or carrier. Whether you have a dog, rabbit, cat, or bird, it’s important to make sure the crate is large enough for your pet to stand, sit, lie down and turn around safe and comfortably.
2) Ready your pet for a long road trip by taking them on shorter trips first. Just like you, they will want to be comfortable and relaxed in the car. You can help your pets feel at ease on even the longest of road trips by keeping their car crate secure and steady, so it doesn’t jostle around when stopping or turning, and remember to allow them to stretch their legs as often as you do.
3) Feeding your pet while traveling can be tricky. Starting with a light meal three to four hours prior to departure will help hold your pet over, without the risk of getting sick. Remember to always have fresh water for your pet as well.
4) It’s tempting to leave Fido in the car while you grab a quick bite to eat, but this can be extremely dangerous. Cars can heat up to furnace levels during the summer, even with the windows down, and these extreme temperatures could lead to death or heat stroke.
5) Don’t forget to pack a travel bag for your pet. In addition to any required paperwork, pack up necessities such as food/treats, travel food and water bowls, collar, leash and ID tags, medications, first-aid kit and more. Also, remember to pack up a few of your pet’s favorite toys!
By following these easy steps, you are guaranteed to have a great summer with the whole family!