June is Adopt a Shelter Cat Month, intended to bring attention to the thousands of fabulous felines sitting in the shelter just waiting for their forever home. While cats might be known for being a bit more particular than their canine counterparts, anyone who’s owned a cat will talk of the deep, genuine, and enriching relationship they share with their feline. If you’ve been considering a cat, now’s the time! To give you a little boost, here are five fantastic reasons to adopt a cat this month.
- Reduced Stress. It’s proven that petting an animal, like a cat, reduces stress – which has a whole slew of health benefits. Furthermore, a cat’s purr helps ease the mind and promotes relaxation.
- Immunity Boost. Yep, owning a cat decreases the risk of allergies and asthma, which means more happy, healthy days for you.
- Lower Blood Pressure and Cholesterol. Studies have proven it. Go ahead, look it up.
- Loving a cat totally thwarts feelings of loneliness. As an added bonus, some cats only bond with select people, making that feeling of friendship even more fulfilling and special.
- Decreased Risk of Heart Attack. One study showed that non-cat owners are 30-40% more likely to die of a heart attack than cat owners. If that’s not reason enough right there then we don’t know what is!
And, of course, the added bonus of how utterly adorable cats are. Whether you’re looking for an easygoing elderly cat or to raise a spunky, curious kitten, your shelter undoubtedly has the right feline for you – and, who knows, they may even be running an adoption special to mark the occasion!