October 21 is Reptile Awareness Day, and here at PAL we get pumped about any day that calls attention to the buddies that don’t get much attention. The main focus of reptile awareness day isn’t really ownership but rather habitat loss, as these guys get pushed further and further out as the human population continues to grow. But there are more ways than one to celebrate! Here are a few of our favorite ways to ring in Reptile Awareness Day.
- Donate to one of the many awesome reptile conservation or legal groups, like the United States Association of Reptile Keepers (oh yes, it exists.)
- Speak Up. If this is a cause that speaks to you, don’t be afraid to write to your local representatives and ask what they’re doing to consider the reptile population in their decision-making.
- Share the Love. If you’re a reptile owner, consider doing a show-and-tell at school or at home and let everyone know why you’re raving about reptiles! Or, you can leave a few copies of a reptile-focused magazine around… you never know who will fall in love with lizards, snakes, and frogs while waiting for a teeth cleaning!
- Check ‘em Out. Spend some of the day at your local zoo’s reptile habitat or looking for reptiles and amphibians in your own backyard – it’s not only fun but educational too. You can also make a vow to check out at least one reptile show before next year.
- Now’s the Time! If you’ve been considering a reptilian pal, what are you waiting for? October 21 is the perfect time to ‘hop’ to it!